Friday, April 13, 2012

I am Arberesh !

Brumi Butter and; Eggs

I know, what is Arberesh and just what the heck is brumi?  Ok, first things first.  Arberesh are a people who migrated from Albania into Southern Italy in the 1600's.  As my grandfather (Noni) told the story; "about 400 years ago Turkey invaded Albania, and some of the Albanians fled and landed in Sicily".  So to make a long story short, my maternal grandparents came from a small commune in Sicily called Piana Degli Albanesi. (Town of the Albanians).  Piana is a short drive south of Palermo, Sicily.  They have kept their language and traditions from the time of the first immigrants into Piana.  The recipe I want to share came from Piana and handed down from my grandmother, to my mother, and I've handed it down to my children.  Now my children have handed it down 1 more generation.  My grandson Daniel loves this dish and; he has been making his own  Brumi Butter & Eggs for quite some time now.

Brumi (broom ee) (Arberesh language) is pasta, and for this recipe you will need a small pasta (ie Orzo, Ditalini) something suitable for soup.  The recipe calls for elbows, and I use the small ones.




Elbow Pasta With Butter And Eggs

Recipe By     : CATHERINE DICHIARA   (my nona)
Serving Size  : 6    Preparation Time :0:15
Categories    : Pasta's

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1      Lb            Elbow Pasta
  1/2  Cube          Butter  (2 oz)   * see note
  2      Each         Eggs Beaten
  1/4  Cup           Romano Or Parmesan Cheese
                          Salt And Pepper to taste

Fill a large sauce pan with 3 Qts of salted water and bring to a boil.  Add pasta & cook until al dente.
In a small bowl using a fork mix eggs.

DO NOT DRAIN PASTA

Mix eggs in hot pasta water stirring all the time.  The eggs will cook immediately in the hot water.  Add butter and serve.  You can add additional butter & grated cheese at the table.

*Note: To cut saturated fats use margarine and eliminate the grated cheese.  




No comments:

Post a Comment